Pi Lambda Theta, a division of PDK International, is one of the nation’s most prestigious education honor societies. Established in 1910, Pi Lambda Theta serves to recognize outstanding students who intend to pursue careers in education. With more than 185,000 individuals who have been inducted across the nation, membership signifies a commitment to academic excellence and the teaching profession.
Joining Pi Lambda Theta is a great way to stand out from the crowd and get that first teaching job right out of college — and it’s easy! A one-time initiation fee of $74 makes you a member for life and includes:
- A personalized certificate and gold honor cords to wear at graduation;
- A connection to outstanding education professionals who can open doors to future employment;
- Eligibility for scholarships to support your undergraduate or graduate studies;
- An online badge for your LinkedIn profile to show employers that you are a high-caliber job candidate; and
- Access to low-cost professional liability insurance that covers you during clinical observations and preservice teaching assignments.
Pi Lambda Theta has the most stringent GPA requirements for membership. Eligible candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and must be one of the following:
- Undergraduate seniors, recent graduates, or graduate students who intend to pursue a career in education; or
- Current educators or education professionals/support staff.
Pi Lambda Theta was organized in 1910 at the University of Missouri. Seven years later, educational honoraries from six other universities joined Pi Lambda Theta to form a national association to advance education as a profession. Members can be found in all 50 states and in many countries throughout the world.
As of 2010, Pi Lambda Theta is a division of PDK International and is governed by the PDK International Board of Directors.