Eligibility: members and non-members
Type: Tuition payment
Deadline: April 1
Tobin Sorenson Physical Education Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students who intend to pursue careers at the K-12 level as physical education teachers, adapted physical education teachers, coaches, recreational therapists, dance therapists, or similar professionals focusing on teaching the knowledge and use of the human body. The scholarships were established in 1999.
Each scholarship consists of a tuition payment of $1,000, which is disbursed directly to an accredited college or university on behalf of the recipient. A complimentary one-year honorary membership is extended if a non-member recipient meets Pi Lambda Theta’s membership requirements.
The application must include evidence that the applicant:
- Has sophomore standing or higher at a regionally accredited institution.
- Has a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Displays potential for leadership.
- Demonstrates extracurricular involvement in physical/sports education, recreation therapy, or similar activities (e.g.: coaching, tutoring, volunteer work for appropriate organizations on/off campus).
- Is pursuing or intending to pursue a career at the K-12 level as a physical education teacher, adapted physical education teacher, coach, recreational therapist, dance therapist, or similar professional focusing on teaching the knowledge and use of the human body.
The application must include:
- Completed online application (Deadline April 1, 2016.)
- A résumé [The résumé should include, but is not limited to, the applicant’s paid and volunteer experience (with dates) in coaching, physical/sports education, recreation therapy, or similar activity in schools, religious, civic, and community organizations; athletic participation; honors, awards, and scholarships; and other information pertinent to the application.]
- An official college transcript [The transcript should show cumulative GPA.]
- Two letters of support from teachers or professionals in physical/sports education, recreation therapy, or similar fields [The letter of support should state an opinion of the likelihood that the applicant will pursue a career in one of the named fields, and should address the applicant’s gift for teaching, motivation, relative maturity, integrity, independence, originality, initiative, enthusiasm, leadership potential, capacity for growth, special talents – things that can help differentiate among applicants. The letters may be included with the application. If sent under separate cover, they must be received by the application deadline.] No additional copies of the above material are required; however, Pi Lambda Theta reserves the right to require additional copies of material that is not readily reproducible. Application materials are not returned.
Recipients are selected by the Sorenson scholarship committee.
The complete application must be received in the Pi Lambda Theta international office by April 1. Applications may be submitted:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via U.S. mail to PLT Scholarships, P.O. Box 7888, Bloomington, IN 47407-7888
Grant Management Software provided by WizeHive