Eligibility: members and non-members
Deadline: April 1
The Distinguished Student Scholar Award is presented in recognition of an education major who has displayed leadership potential and a strong dedication to education. The award was established in 1991.
The award consists of a cash payment of $500 and a certificate. A complimentary one year honorary membership is extended if a non-member recipient meets Pi Lambda Theta’s membership requirements.
A nomination must include evidence that the nominee:
- Is at least a sophomore in a baccalaureate degree program.
- Has a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Has demonstrated strong dedication to the future of education.
- Displays potential for leadership.
- Has made significant contributions to local/national education efforts while in a college or
university (i.e. volunteer work with organizations, particularly non-profit; committee work on/off campus; leadership positions in organizations on/off campus).
The application must include:
- A Pi Lambda Theta universal application/nomination cover sheet
- A résumé
- A copy of an official college transcript (The transcript should show the cumulative GPA.)
- Two letters of support from faculty members. No additional copies of the above material are required for a complete application; however, Pi Lambda Theta reserves the right to require up to 10 copies of material that is not readily reproducible or that is unusually long.
The recipient is selected by the student scholar committee. The committee may, at its discretion, decide not to make the award.
The complete application must be received in the Pi Lambda Theta international office by April 1. Nominations may be submitted:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via U.S. mail to PLT Scholarships, P.O. Box 7888, Bloomington, IN 47407-7888