Eligibility: members and non-members
Deadline: April 1
The Graduate Student Scholar Award is presented in recognition of an outstanding graduate student who is an education major. The award was established in 1993.
The award consists of a cash payment of $1,000 and a certificate. A complimentary one-year honorary membership is extended if a non-member recipient meets Pi Lambda Theta’s membership requirements.
A nomination must include evidence that the applicant:
- Is pursuing a graduate degree and has completed at least 12 semester credit hours or the
equivalent of graduate work.
- Has earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale on all undergraduate
work and at least a 3.75 on a 4.0 scale on graduate work.
- Displays potential for leadership.
- Has made significant contributions to local/national education efforts while in a college or university
(i.e. volunteer work with organizations, particularly non-profit; committee work on/off campus;
leadership positions in organizations on/off campus).
- Has performed uniquely in his/her field (has perfected a unique method and/or an idea, and
has incorporated it into his/her work to the betterment of his/her discipline).
the application must include:
- Completed online application (Deadline was April 1, 2014.)
- A résumé or vita
- A copy of an official college transcript from college/university from which applicant received his/her
most recent degree and a copy of an official transcript from the college/university at which applicant
is attending graduate school [Both transcripts should show cumulative GPA.]
- A written statement from the applicant addressing his/her qualifications in relation to the criteria
- Two letters of recommendation endorsing the application (occupation and relationship to applicant are to be stated in the letter of recommendation).
To the extent possible, letters of support should specifically address the application criteria. No additional copies of the above material are required for a complete application; however, Pi Lambda Theta reserves the right to require up to 10 copies of material that is not readily reproducible or that is unusually long.
The recipient is selected by the student scholar committee. The committee may, at its
discretion, decide not to make the award.
The complete application must be received in the Pi Lambda Theta international office by April 1. Nominations may be submitted:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via U.S. mail to PLT Scholarships, P.O. Box 7888, Bloomington, IN 47407-7888