Eligibility: members and non-members
Deadline: April 1
The Janyce Yoshizawa Excellence in Classroom Teaching Award is presented in recognition of outstanding classroom teaching in grades K-6. The award was established in 1998.
The award consists of a cash payment of $1,000 and a certificate.
To be eligible for consideration the applicant must be a teacher in grades K-6 in a public or private school. The applicant need not be a member of Pi Lambda Theta. The applicant must include evidence that he/she has demonstrated two or more of the following:
- Exceptional talent in developing innovative educational curricula, programs, and/or teaching methods
- Outstanding ability to instill in students behavior and values to guide them in their daily lives and
to relate classroom experiences to the world around them
- Exceptional ability to foster students’ creative thinking and motivate them toward excellence and
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity in the classroom and utilization of such diversity to enrich students’ lives
- Commitment to continuing professional development and strong potential for long-term contribution
the application must include:
- A Pi Lambda Theta universal application/nomination cover sheet
- A résumé
- A letter of support from the principal of the applicant’s school
- A letter of support from a fellow teacher
- A letter of support from the parent of a student taught by the applicant
To the extent possible, letters of support should specifically address the application criteria. No additional copies of the above material are required for a complete application.
The recipient is selected by the awards committee. The committee may, at its discretion, decide not to make the award.
The complete application must be received in the Pi Lambda Theta international office by April 1. Nominations may be submitted:
- Via email to email@example.com
- Via U.S. mail to PLT Scholarships, P.O. Box 7888, Bloomington, IN 47407-7888