A National Honor Society for Educators
Pi Lambda Theta is one of the nation’s most prestigious education honor societies. Established in 1910, Pi Lambda Theta serves to recognize outstanding students who intend to pursue careers in education. With more than 185,000 individuals who have been inducted across the nation, membership signifies a commitment to academic excellence and the teaching profession. Pi Lambda Theta is a division of PDK International.
Why bring Pi Lambda Theta to your college or university?
Pi Lambda Theta is a significant opportunity for your students. As members, your students will be recognized by potential employers as high-caliber job candidates and be distinguished at graduation as high-achieving students through honor regalia. It truly is an opportunity for you to showcase the outstanding students in your education program.
What are the benefits of membership?
Joining Pi Lambda Theta is an easy yet powerful way for your students to be honored for their academic achievements. Teacher employers recognize membership in Pi Lambda Theta as a signifier of excellence. Additionally, it is an opportunity for you to recognize your outstanding students at graduation. Membership includes:
- A personalized certificate and gold honor cords to wear at graduation;
- A connection to outstanding education professionals who can open doors to future employment;
- Eligibility for scholarships to support their studies;
- An online badge for their LinkedIn profiles to show employers that they are high-caliber job candidates; and
- Access to low-cost professional liability insurance that covers them during clinical observations and preservice teaching assignments.
Who is eligible to apply for membership?
- Undergraduate juniors and seniors (with at least 60 credit hours) or recent graduates who intend to pursue a career in education and have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above
- Graduate students who have completed one or more semesters of grad school, intend to pursue a career in education, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above. (If they haven’t yet finished their first semester of grad school, they can apply using their undergraduate school information and GPA.)
- Current educators or education professionals/support staff who graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above
What is the fee structure?
To join Pi Lambda Theta, members pay a one-time initiation fee of $74. They do not need to renew annually.
We make it easy.
Offering Pi Lambda Theta’s honor and recognition to your students is easy. You do not have to sanction a campus chapter or appoint a faculty advisor. All you need to do is forward our invitation email to your students. Interested students can easily apply by filling out our online application at pilambda.org/join.
Let us know what’s easiest for you — we can send you materials to put up in your office, share a sample blurb for an email newsletter, or even take your list of students and contact them directly.
Call us at 800-766-1156 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information or to get started.
What is Pi Lambda Theta’s relationship to PDK International?
As a division of PDK International, Pi Lambda Theta maintains its name, selective membership standards, and unique mission. Established in 1906, PDK International supports teachers and school leaders by strengthening their interest in the profession through the entire arc of their career. PDK International is comprised of seven divisions whose programs and services enable public educators to improve schools so that all students thrive.