Who is now eligible to apply for membership?
- Undergraduate seniors (or recent graduates) who intend to pursue a career in education and have a 3.5 GPA or higher
- Graduate students who intend to pursue a career in education and have a 3.5 GPA or higher (If they haven’t yet finished their first semester of grad school, they can apply using their undergraduate school information and GPA!)
- Current educators or education professionals/support staff who graduated with a 3.5 GPA or higher
How much is the initiation fee for new members? What does it include?
The one-time membership fee of $74 includes:
- A personalized certificate and gold honor cords (no need to purchase separately!);
- Access to low-cost professional liability insurance that covers students during clinical observations and preservice teaching assignments;
- Eligibility for scholarships to support their undergraduate or graduate studies; and
- A connection to outstanding education professionals who can open doors to future employment.
How will students be invited to join Pi Lambda Theta?
In Fall 2016, we will provide you with marketing materials (emails and flyers) that can easily be distributed electronically over listservs or in student common areas on campus.
What if I still want to submit my student lists?
If you prefer to continue sending your lists, just let us know and we’ll work with you.
- If your lists include email addresses, we will market solely by email.
- If your lists do not include email addresses, we will send a letter or postcard directing students to a website where they can apply. (We no longer have a paper application.) Please note that we will only send mail to domestic addresses.
Can I get a list of students who have joined from my college/university?
Sure! We would be happy to provide you with a list. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Pi Lambda Theta Member List” to request it.
How long does it take for membership to be processed?
Once we receive an application and the student’s transcript has been verified, it will be processed within two to three business days. We will then send the student a welcome email and a welcome packet (including graduation cords) by U.S. mail.
Do students need to upload an official transcript?
No, they do not; students can upload a PDF of either a scanned, official transcript or an online transcript. If uploading a PDF of an online transcript, it must include the student’s name, institution, and cumulative GPA.